- Knives, machetes, axes and similar objects should not be carried by crew members
- Don’t attempt to compact trash sacks to make room for more. Injuries from broken or jagged objects often result from this practice. Fill the sack with what goes in easily, then get another bag
Vehicle & Traffic Safety:
- Carpool to the clean up site to reduce the number of vehicles on the road
- Keep vehicles on the same side of the highway as the volunteers
- Park all vehicles clear of the road way and at least ten feet from the shoulder’s surface
- Whenever possible, face oncoming traffic while you work. Be prepared to move out of the way of vehicles in an emergency.
- Work one side of the highway at a time
- Do not cross traveled sections of roadway
- Avoid using headsets: they could interfere with your ability to hear oncoming traffic or warnings
Beware of Weather Conditions:
- Don’t work in bad weather.
- Work during daylight hours only.
- Avoid overexertion. Drink plenty of water.